Dining Chair


 I modelled my dining chairs a looong time ago based on these orthos i did. I wanted individual armchairs as opposed to the 2 to a seat kind of chairs as armchairs suggest a bit more elegance and first class. I made the high poly more recently (mesh in the middle) and the bake came out good, aswell as the ao. The third mesh below is just my normals, with normal pattern overlayed.

 For the pattern, i found a few patterns i liked, and did a bit of editing, tracing over parts i liked etc. Then i duped and flipped until i got this pattern that i would reuse on other assets. It's at a nice 4000x4000 pixels, cause vectors do my head in.
  

I was completely unsure of what colours i'd be using, but as a major influence was the 'Blue Train', I felt it needed some blue. I did several hue changes with different layers on my diffuse , and tested how they looked. Anything light didn't really look good, and a bold blue was a nice contrast with the redish wood, and the white table cloths



 Painting over the asset
Final asset in udk mesh viewer, with finished materials. I powered the spec so that the lighter, more elevated part of the fabric would give a goldish, orangey shimmer when hit with the setting sunlight through the windows
I decided to batch my  chairs into 6. There are a few pros and cons why i did this. Basically, there are 36 armchairs in the dining carriage. At 1500ish tris each, thats fine, because theyre instanced. But each mesh calls on 2 pretty large textures in its material, multiplied by 36 thats quite alot of work for the gpu. By grouping into 6, i've reduced 72 texture calls down to 12. Because of the way the train is laid out, and the design of the chairs, individually they don't really occlude eachother(theres pretty much always a bit of mesh sticking out somewhere), and that's usually the main reason not to batch things. The only drawback is having a 9000ish tri mesh instead of 1500, but if i'm right, it's hopefully some good optimisation
 



No comments:

Post a Comment